Meals on Wheels
North of the River Recreation and Park District (NOR) operates a local Meals on Wheels program which provides hot nutritious meals to home bound seniors in our community 250 days a year. Last year, we served 39,400 meals. Still, there are 60 – 100 seniors on the waiting list at any given time.
- Meals on Wheels (MOW) helps senior members of our community remain independent and living in their own homes by providing them with a hot nutritious meal each weekday.
- NOR has been providing MOW to the community for more than 20 years and serves more meals and individuals than any other agency in Kern County.
- NOR served 39,402 MOW last year.
- The growing senior population, along with poor economic conditions, is creating a growing need for MOW. There are anywhere from 80 – 100 people at a given on the waiting list and can not be served because there is inadequate funding for the program.
- The cost to prepare and deliver each meal is $7.25. MOW currently receives $6.54 funding and donations per meal, leaving a gap of $.71 that is needed just to maintain current levels of service.
- NOR receives federal, state and county funding for MOW but relies on additional funds from businesses and individuals to help serve as many people as possible.