Meals on Wheels
North of the River Recreation and Park District (NOR) operates a local Meals on Wheels program which provides hot nutritious meals to home bound seniors in our community 250 days a year. Last year, we served 39,400 meals. Still, there are 60 – 100 seniors on the waiting list at any given time.
- Meals on Wheels (MOW) helps senior members of our community remain independent and living in their own homes by providing them with a hot nutritious meal each weekday.
- NOR has been providing MOW to the community for more than 20 years and serves more meals and individuals than any other agency in Kern County.
- NOR served 39,402 MOW last year.
- The growing senior population, along with poor economic conditions, is creating a growing need for MOW. There are anywhere from 80 – 100 people at a given on the waiting list and can not be served because there is inadequate funding for the program.
- The cost to prepare and deliver each meal is $7.25. MOW currently receives $6.54 funding and donations per meal, leaving a gap of $.71 that is needed just to maintain current levels of service.
- NOR receives federal, state and county funding for MOW but relies on additional funds from businesses and individuals to help serve as many people as possible.
Support NOR Meals on Wheels by shopping at Sangera Subaru (5500 Gasoline Alley Drive) from November 15th – January 2nd during Subaru’s annual Share the Love Campaign. For every Subaru purchased during this period, $250 will be donated to the purchaser’s charity of choice. Sangera Subaru has graciously chosen NOR Meals on Wheels once again this year as their local charity. Last year, NOR Meals on Wheels received more than $30,000 from Share the Love to help us continue to feed our home bound seniors.